About studying at the UGR

Two students looking at paperwork


The following information highlights some important characteristics of UGR undergraduate programmes that you should be aware of before commencing your studies.

Academic affairs

General Information
Language of instruction Mainly Spanish
Language requirements B1 in Spanish (minimum recommended level).
Recommended credit load per undergraduate semester 21-30 ECTS
Teaching methodology Lectures, group work, tutorials, lab sessions, seminars, etc.
Academic calendar Link to current Academic Calendar
Induction days for international students 1st semester & full academic year: Sept 2019   2nd semester: Jan-Feb 2020
Insurance All students on international mobility programmes must have health and travel insurance. Check the health cover provided by the European Health Insurance Card if you have one.
UGR Mentor Programme This programme aims to assist international mobility students to integrate, network with other students, and successfully undertake their academic responsibilities.
Students with disabilities and special needs

Please visit the following website for further information on the disability support services provided by the UGR: Disability services at the UGR 

Language courses
Languages Website
Modern Languages Centre (CLM) Spanish, English, French, Italian, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Swedish, Romanian, Arabic, Persian  CLM
Russkiy Mir Russian Centre Russian Russkiy Mir
Confucius Institute Chinese Confucius Institute

For comprehensive information about important dates to keep in mind, including term dates, holidays and exam periods please consult the current Academic Calendar

ECTS credit system

The most significant feature of the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is that it not only includes in-class work, but it also takes into account the actual effort you need to make in order to pass each subject. Each ECTS credit is equivalent to approximately 25-30 hours of work, encompassing the time you spend in class, seminars, internships, on projects and studying. Generally speaking, on most UGR programmes an academic year of full-time study amounts to 60 ECTS credits — 30 credits per semester.

Grading system

Grading scale: 5 marks, based on a scale from 0 (lowest) to 10 (highest), with a final mark awarded at the end of each course  
0 - 4.9 Fail      (suspenso)
5 - 6.9 Pass   (aprobado)
7 - 8.9 Very Good (notable)
9 - 10 Excellent* (sobresaliente)

*A Matrícula de Honor – a distinction of 'With Honours (A+)' (in the UK/Ireland: a High First class or 75-100) may be awarded, at the lecturer's discretion, for outstanding achievements to a maximum of 5% of students enrolled on a given course.

The UGR's international grade conversion table enables you to compare your home country's grading system with the Spanish system.


Non-academic affairs

Health insurance and healthcare: what if I fall sick?

Public Healthcare System

You will be treated free of charge:

  • If you come from an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and upon showing the European Health Insurance Card.

  • If you come from a non-EU country upon showing documentation to prove you have a healthcare plan.

  • If you come from a country with a bilateral agreement with Spain, such as Andorra, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay or Peru. In this case you will have to ask for a family doctor at the nearest public health centre to your home address in Granada – in the first few days after your arrival in Spain – and prove that you have the right to medical care in your home country. More information on the Spanish Social Security website: Social Security web

Important: You must present your national ID card or passport to register with a medical centre.

Non-urgent medical care: To receive non-urgent assistance you must first register with the nearest public health centre (centro de salud) to your home address in Granada. Medical appointments can be booked online or by calling your centre and can generally be made for within 2-3 days. Using the following directory and your postcode, you can find out which health centre you need to register with in Granada: Health centre directory

Urgent medical care: In line with the regulations of the National Health System, urgent medical attention is guaranteed 24/7, 365 days a year to everyone in any hospital. In the event that you should require an ambulance, you must call the Emergency Phone Number in Spain (and all EU countries): 112.

Private Healthcare System
  • If you come from a non-EU country and there is no bilateral agreement between your country and the Spanish Social Security System you must take out your own private health insurance, or you may be able to purchase insurance cover offered by the University of Granada.

In this case, if you need medical assistance during your stay in Granada, you must provide the official documents from your health insurance policy. Before visiting your doctor, call the number that appears on your insurance policy. During the call you will be asked for your identification number and your policy details. The insurance company should inform you about the medical clinics where you can receive medical care in Granada. In general there are two Hospitals or Clinics in Granada that have an agreement with private insurance companies:
1) Hospital Vithas La Salud: Avda. Santa María de la Ahambra, 6. 18008 Granada. Tel.: 34 958 80 88 80
2) Clínica de la Inmaculada: C/ Doctor Alejandro Otero, 8 18004 Granada. Tel.: +34 958 25 05 23

Urgent medical care: In line with the regulations of the National Health System, urgent medical attention is guaranteed 24/7, 365 days a year to everyone in any hospital. In the event that you should require an ambulance, you must call the Emergency Phone Number in Spain (and all EU countries): 112.


Residence permits

Citizens from the EU, Switzerland and the European Economic Area
A valid passport or national ID card is required for entry into Spain. If the stay is for longer than three months, you must apply to be included in the Central Registry of Foreigners in person at the Office for Foreign Residents in Granada. You must submit a valid passport or national ID card in order to apply (with a photocopy), a copy of your health insurance card (or the insurance you have) and official UGR Erasmus student credential (with photocopy) in order to complete the application process. You are obliged by law to complete this registration process within the first three months following your arrival. Further information: Residence permits

Citizens from other countries
In order to enter and stay in Spain, an application must be made for a visa at the Diplomatic Mission or Spanish General Consulate in your country of residence. Further information: Residence permits


Cost of living in Granada

The city of Granada is considered one of the cheapest places in Spain and Europe to live as a student. Obviously, the cost of living for each student depends on their lifestyle, but it tends to vary between €550 - €800 per month.

For guidance purposes, we have calculated the average cost of living in Granada in the most basic aspects:

  • Accommodation in a shared flat in the city centre (water and energy expenses included) varies roughly between €200 - €250 per month.

  • The daily set menu in the University canteens costs €3.50. The takeaway menu costs €4.

  • A single city-bus ticket costs €1.20. If you purchase a bus card, the price is €0.87 per trip and with the University bus pass the cost is €0.61 per trip. A monthly pass costs about €41.


Services, resources and facilities at the UGR

Handbooks for international students and partners

You can find comprehensive information on a wide range of topics related to both studying and living in Granada by consulting the following guides designed for international students. Whether you are looking for academic, technical, employment, language or psychological support services, or you simply want to find out how to get involved in the UGR Sports Centre activities, clubs or societies, you can find extensive information about our services and resources below.

Information for incoming students EN & ES





Information for our partner universities